Friday 24 May 2019

Hanmer Camp 2019

From Monday to Wednesday, I have been on school camp. I arrived at school extremely tired and barely awake, and ready to sleep in the car. After awhile of talking, we all got in our cars and left.  I was in Carmens car with Iris. It was very quiet because I napped most of the way, which was very relaxing (I did wake up now and then to eat a few lollies though).

When we arrived at Hanmer Springs Forest Camp, the lady explained a few rules before we went to our bunks. Or maybe it was the other way around, I wasn't exactly awake enough to remember. Soon, Activtity Hanmer arrived and we all left for our first and last activity for the day. My group were doing orienteering, which was just us running around the forest looking for white tubes with numbers and letters on them. My team (Angelina, Billie-Jean, Oliver and I) started out great and had an amazing plan, but took too long walking around and ended up returning half an hour late! It was a lot of fun though, and it was probarbly my favourite activity.

Right after that, it was time to go to the hot pools! I really liked going into the hot pool and then the lazy river for some reason. I had a lot of fun with my friends, and it was (of course) the best part of camp. I went in the super bowl when it was dark and thought I was actually going to fly out and die! Fun. When it did get dark and the lights in the lap pool and lazy river went on and I put my head under the water (with goggles on) it looked really cool. Soon we had to go back to camp and eat dinner. We were all exhusted, and I could be found lying down on the couch or carpet, napping.


Day 2! Waking up was pretty hard, but soon I realised I was hungry and got out to eat. We had breakfast, packed out lunches, and were off for another activity. My group were doing Conical Hill and the Lolly shop first. It was an easy walk, and the lolly shop looked really nice, though it was more expensive than I thought. We went back to camp and ate some lunch before going onto our second activity: Tree Climbing! I didn't expect to get to the top of all the trees, and I was very sure of giving up. But in the end, I forced myself up and made it to the top. That was the most surprising thing for me.


The last activity that day was Mountain Biking. I got really tired at the end and my clothes all got dirty because I half fell about twice. We also saw some people who took so many shortcuts from Conical Hill that we saw them at the bike trail!

Finally, the end of the day. We went back to the Hot pools, but I was so tired I couldn't be bothered going on the superbowl. Most of my time was spent in the hot pools and rock pools.


Hot pools was over really quickly, and it was time to have dinner which was deviled sausages, deliscious! The chocolate pudding that Carmen made was amazing, and definately a highlight. We had camp concert, and some friends and I did the macarena. 


Wednesday, the last day. there were only 2 activities today, for me it was the sculpture walk and cemetry explorartion. It was supposed to be one activity but since we had 2 groups, we had to split up and take turns. The sculpters were cool, my favorite one was the possum doing tree climbing.

Then just like that, Camp was over and I was napping all the way back to Greymouth. (Deja vu?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.