Thursday 21 June 2018

Ballast 2 - maths!

Yesterday, we tried doing the maths puzzle ballast. That time, we could choose any numbers that we wanted. Today we did the same puzzle, except the numbers were already chosen. we had to find the part of the boat that would sink. Here are the numbers.
 


I tried doing the first one by writing all the possibilities down in my book, like 2x3, 2x4, 4x5 etc. Then i added the other numbers: if I was trying 2x3, i'd add 1, 4 and 5 together. The answers to both of those weren't the same, so I tried the rest. none of those worked either so that meant that one is the part that would sink.

Now i did the same with the second and third parts, and there were answers.

I think this puzzle was really fun and it took me while to actually understand what I was supposed to do. It took me ages to find the answers to the problem, and I was really confused when the first one didn't have a possibility because I forgot there was one that didn't work. 

1 comment:

  1. It's great to see you enjoy maths. It definitely wasn't my favourite subject at school, but we didn't get to use it in interesting ways, either.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.